Saturday, March 24, 2007

A Fool Proof Plan

Thanks to Elinor's suggestion, I have started a running program -- just finished run #2. And I feel great! The program starts with 60 sec of jogging/90 sec of walking alternated for 20 minutes in the first week and gradually increases time and duration of jogging until, by week 9, I'll be jogging for 30 minutes straight. Can't wait.

Last Monday, I only completed 15 minutes of the prescribed 20 minutes. I had a stitch in my side and was bored with the indoor track. Today, it was overcast and 65 degrees. Everyone in the Twin Cities is outside. I loaded my Nano with fast-paced music and headed for Lake Calhoun. Twenty minutes went by so fast!

But the best part? I've set myself up for success this time, without really realizing it. I am working with a student right now who is in high school and has severely depressed reading skills. He wants to learn to read and recognizes how important it is, but because of the frustration he feels and the intensity of the work we do, he often refuses to work and finds excuses for not participating. I saw the parallel between his goals and frustrations with my struggles to find an exercise plan that would allow me to lose weight and feel healthier. So I told him I was starting this running program and compared my goal to build stamina and strength for running with his goal to learn to read. I've been keeping him updated with my progress, including the days I talked myself out of running or didn't go as far as I wanted to. One day he said running would be easy for him. I replied that I would much rather be reading, but that we both need this to make our lives better, and it's not easy for either of us. And that we can do it.

The result is that I can't give up on this plan, can't procrastinate it, can't make excuses and give up, can't pretend I didn't tell him about it. Kids have a fantastic ability to hold us accountable, and I certainly can't go to my student now and say, "Sorry, this running program is just too hard. I'll never be able to run or get healthy." The truth is, if we both stick with it, we can both succeed, and if I'm going to be role-model in this struggle, I better do everything possible to prove that success is possible!